The Almería and Province Heart Disease Association (AENCOAL) was established on January 30, 2005.
At present, more than 1000 people (1067) are associated with it, of which more than 75% are patients with some type of cardiac pathology, and the remaining 25% are made up of relatives of patients whom we call “solidarity partners” .
This Association is aimed at patients who have suffered a myocardial infarction, suffer from attacks of angina pectoris or any type of heart condition, and according to its president, Juan José Alarcón Gómez, it can also be very useful for family members, for potential candidates to present. disease and in general for all those who wish to lead a healthier life.
AENCOAL is based in Almería and the province, supervised by cardiologists from higher-level hospitals. The initiative arises when doctors who care for patients in the acute phase of the myocardium, realize the importance of the patient being well informed, both to obtain their active collaboration in the healing process and to dispel fears, most of them born out of fear of ignorance. creates.
These doctors are convinced that the intense activity that the complex technology they handle forces them not to leave time to dialogue with the patient. Thus, AENCOAL was created to serve as an informative link for the patient, making the dialogue of any news that may interest this group its reason for being, in collaboration with the doctor and the nurse (essential elements for effective treatment).
Since the Association was created, “we are fighting to have a Cardiac Rehabilitation Service, as well as to improve the care service of the Cardiology Units in the province, with the close collaboration of the health authorities, in this case by the Delegation of Health Delegation of Almería ”.
“The cardiac patient is a ‘normal person, limited in part by the type of heart condition that he has in each case,” they point out from the Association. Once discharged from the hospital, it is very important to be able to lead an “almost normal life”, Habits, quality, and lifestyle. The diet should be what is called healthy for the heart, free of all kinds of fats, basically a good Mediterranean diet.
In addition, smoking is totally contraindicated for these patients, and “controlled exercise is very important, such as walking for an hour a day. day, set the pace and stop to rest if necessary, obviously following the medical treatment indicated in each case ”. Medical check-ups are usually, once stabilized and controlled, at least one or two a year, except for another medical prescription.
Among the activities carried out by the Association are participation in different prevention, dissemination and information campaigns in health centers, schools, intervention in congresses and scientific and sporting events, organization of different health awareness activities, and many others. like education. in sports or eating habits.
The demand to improve services is also part of our principle of action, demanding all those scientific, technical and human advances that are already enjoyed in other Spanish cities.
Of special importance for the Association is the Collaboration and Cooperation Agreement signed in its day with the Epes Foundation – 061, which gives them unconditional support.